Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Balance Rings

These rings came about from designing for a client, I came up with a similar design to these and decided to forge it from thick wire, when I bent it up to the shape, it was too big to be worn as a ring so I decided to over lap the two meeting loops side by side to decrease the size. This created a really interesting pattern and It took off from there. I made a few variations and created different finishes such as blackening the metal for contrast, glass brushing for a matted look and forging with a polished hammer for a beaten texture. Over and above this I set one of the rings with a Labradorite gemstone and one with a Moonstone. To me these rings represent the Chinese Yin and Yang which describes the interdependance of opposites which create harmony and balance.

No comments: